The Literary Man Cave
In theory, we love the idea of the newly debuted Man Cave. Hosted by Adams Media, it’s an online bookstore targeted directly at male readers and those who buy gifts for them, according to Publishers Weekly. How perfect!
“Men tend to be the most challenging people to shop for,” says an Adams Media marketer. And the Man Cave site boasts of having the solution: “Yes, guys do read—they like it, in fact. It’s here that you’ll find the perfect gift for the man in your life.” But check out the selection of titles: How Do You Light a Fart?, 100 Sexiest Women in Comics, and Sweet ’Stache: 50 Badass Mustaches and the Faces Who Sport Them, to name just a few.
Ahh … so they didn’t mean literary novels and memoirs that might appeal to not-big-reader guys. They meant gifty books that nobody really wants but that are stamped “For Guys.” Books about farts and mustaches. You know, the book equivalent of a tie printed with golf tees.
( Via UtneReader )
- ajsdiary likes this
- mintyr reblogged this from ajaymurthy
- mintyr likes this
- crimsonvermillion answered: box.com/shared/…
- dudeimswag answered: ammm we need to teach them how to dougie
- dudeimswag likes this
- cjole likes this
- littlefish646661 answered: Fight Club
- ablackbrick answered: Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, Corto Maltese (comic books) by Hugo Pratt, Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany
- treatyoselfartie reblogged this from utnereader
- nikileaks answered: um. My husband requested Gramsci for Christmas. I don’t think this Man Cave site is going to help me.
- busstopeyes likes this
- miltons likes this
- xombiewoof reblogged this from utnereader
- xombiewoof likes this
- tornadoquest answered: Fiction: Anything by P.G. Wodehouse. Non-fiction: Knocking On Heaven’s Door by Lisa Randall
- igby reblogged this from utnereader
- flybunni likes this
- grownupsolutions reblogged this from utnereader
- darkuncle answered: The Lord of the Rings
- 909miles answered: Hemingway and a serious attitude.
- forgottenether likes this
- ajaymurthy reblogged this from utnereader and added:
- practicalobscurity likes this
- trans-shosh answered: مافهمت !
- glitteris likes this
- babylonfalling said: on the ground: an illustrated anecdotal history of the sixties underground press the chauvinism of the era guarantees its manliness
- neblina answered: a cafe that serves Ron Swanson food and books about everything (like everybody duh). Leather & wood w/ prints of artistically naked women
- theamericanscholar likes this
- atavist likes this
- iseesigils likes this
- ticker-tape-of-the-unconscious likes this
- jennfrank likes this
- littlepieceofabigsoul answered: Henry Miller, Hemingway, Bill Bryson, Pint Sized Ireland, Ghost Rider
- diegueno answered: How does a guy who read Jerzy Kosinski’s Steps as a tween answer this?
- swanielrosecullenquartermaine reblogged this from utnereader and added:
- listofnow answered: I know quite a few guys who are politics wonks, film, music and history buffs. Quite a lot of choices there!
- sterwood likes this
- swanielrosecullenquartermaine likes this
- utnereader posted this